frequently asked questions
Twinn Palms Homestay is a housing management service dedicated to providing comprehensive services to students, host families, schools, and overseas partners. Twinn Palms provides Homestay Coordinators to closely work with our host families to ensure that our students have an enjoyable and safe experience while in the United States. Our coordinators also recruit, manage, and provide support to students, host families, and schools to ensure a rewarding and successful experience for all involved.
Twinn Palms provides our students with: Twinn Palms ESL Institute Summer and Winter programs, four College Tour options during the Spring/Summer semesters, six Explore USA! Travel programs around the country throughout the year, a variety of academic and cultural activities/programs to participate in, and academic support.
Twinn Palms gathers the student and host family applications, builds a Host Family Profile and carefully works to match you with a host family that we feel you will have the most success with.
You will be able to meet your host family once they have been matched by Twinn Palms. You and your parents will receive a Host Family Profile that includes information about your host family and pictures so you can see them and what your homestay will look like.
Based on yours and your host families applications, Twinn Palms works hard to match you with the best host family. Your placement will be based on the answers you provide us on your student application.
Yes, your parents will receive a Host Family Profile that tells them all about your host family as well as provide pictures to your parents.
Prices vary depending on when you want to come, where you want to stay, and what you plan on spending during your stay here. We invite you to read more on the student page on our website.
Yes, you can participate in the Explore USA! travel programs during the year with the school and travel with your host family (if they plan any trips), and upon permission. Other travel arrangements would have to be approved and coordinated through your host family, Homestay Coordinator, and parents.
Of course, we provide ESL support programs, tutoring and academic help during the school hours, and you can always ask your host family for help with your school work. We want you to succeed and have a great year.
Yes, you are not a guest, you are considered part of the family. As such, you will be participating in everyday life routines with your host family that include: meals, activities, chores, and a variety of other experiences.
- All clothing needed/wanted but your uniform
- Any school supplies you want above the required ones for school
- Any meals you eat out with your friends
- Any activities you decide to participate in outside of family activities
- All travel expenses related to trips back home to China or any other traveling you do without your host family
- Any special items that you want outside of the normal things that your host family buys, especially if they are more expensive than what your host family would provide
- Your own cell phone, supplies, and phone charges
- Any extra reading or studying books you want to buy outside from the required ones for class
- If your host family takes a vacation, you are responsible for your part of the trip: plane, host, admission (like to Disneyland). If you don’t want to go with them, then other housing arrangements need to be made while they are gone.
- Three meals every day (excluding lunch during school days, if provided by the school).
- Dinner out with the family.
- Activities, if it is a family activity.
- Toiletries (outside of the normal things your host family would pay for, especially if you want something more expensive)
- All fuel to get to and from activities and school. You should not have to pay for a ride.
- All costs related to laundry.
- Costs to pick you up and take you back to the airport.
- Reasonable Christmas gift if you decide to stay for the holidays.
Both your Homestay Coordinator and school support people will help you decide where to attend college. Our Twinn Palms Institute offers four college tour options during the Spring/Summer terms. Please see the College Tours Guide for more information.
Please visit the student page on our website for more information and our application process.
Of course, your Homestay Coordinator will be the primary person you contact. He/she will be meeting with you on a semester basis, you can contact them if you have any questions. However, we always prefer that you speak with your host family first since you live with them and they are responsible for caring for you while you are here.